Thursday, January 28, 2010

a likely lad

I nursed my fourth knock-off beer

switched to my left hand

& stopped talking for the first time in fifteen minutes

the businessman beside me who was buying me drinks

arched a thick grey eyebrow & said:

       “Yure eh likely lad, Rocco.

        Ye fit, young, eager

        Un wots more, yuv goat

        A gud head on yure shoulders.”

So saying he clapped me on the back

drained his pot & roared for another


it was the Summer of ‘99

bartending BrizVegas

working in a trendy inner-city gin-joint

that is, until the owner got busted

for coke by undercover cops


but I was a jack-of-all-trades

got a job in a hotel/motel

- no-one can tell the difference these days -

of an afternoon I'd wash dishes

chop onions, spuds & carrots

polish glasses & cutlery

answer telephones

brag, boast & exchange lies with the Texan Chef

& the gay Maitré D


by evening I'd wait tables

tend the bar

stock the fridges

clean the kitchen

sweep & mop the floors

answer telephones

& take room-service up to celebrities


one night, among many

I got call from room 56

a reggae band in town & outta booze

        "Hey mun, canna ave t' soup o' tha day

        for seven uf us,

        also, cun you get us

        2 litres o' pineapple juice

        3 lemons & a pint of cream?"

I asked him if that was all, sir?

        "D'ye ave rum?"

Wot, Bundy?

        "No, Mun. Bacardi... White Rum?!"


In no time the Chef's bell rang

I loaded the trolley

punched floor 5 room 6

& knocked (knock knock na knock knock knock-knock)

        "Eeeyyyyyy, D'Artagnan!"

the rasta lion dread-head

sounded like the love-child

of Bob Marley & Fonzie

the stench of ganja hit me square between the eyes

blue-grey clouds billowed out into the hall

but I was blocked at the door


I felt like a five-star pizza-boy, accepted a toke

- no prizes for guessing what they tipped me with -

then went downstairs an tried on a few ten-year-old tricks

y'know, smashed a few plates

rattled the cutlery too loudly

yawned & bitched & complained

until the boss sent me

& my stoned arse home

No comments:

Post a Comment